Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sirens

It is 4:00 in the morning and I am wide awake.  We live in a small town with a volunteer fire department.  They are summoned to a job through a siren system.  A very good system.  Really.
Except when you are a mom with a really strong tendency to worry. 
One of the daughters was not home.  I would not have know this and would have slept blissfully on in my ignorance had it not been the sirens going off at 3:21. 
Sirens wake me.  As they should. 
Anyway, there were no texts or missed calls.
I went and stood out on the front porch to listen for trucks and ambulances leaving the town to see which way they went.  I resisted the urge to jump in my car and go look.  I did not want to be one of the scanner people and why would I want to come up on accident that could possibly involve someone I know.
I will admit to searching for scanner info on google. 
Surprising at what you can't find when you want it.  You can find out about tours through the Amazon but not local information.  I will find it tomorrow.  When I want Amazonian tours to be provided online at no expense.
So. The coffee is on, the dishes are washed.  Facebook has been checked as have world news sites and Sunday's dinner menu planned. 
And it is only a little before 5 in the morning.
I think I will be doing the motherly thing later in the day and lay on a huge amount of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment